Monday, July 15, 2013

Amphibian and Reptile Musings

When I tell people that I am working in the herpetarium, there are mixed reactions. Some people are very excited, but a few people have shuddered and said something like "I'm glad there are people like you in the world". These reactions have me pondering why reptiles and amphibians are so disliked by people. Is it because they are so different than us? For example, cold blood, no hair, they lay eggs. While they may be so different, I find the differences remarkable. If you look closer at anything, I believe that similarities can be found. While it is easier to see the similarities when looking an orangutan in the face, it is an amazing feeling to look at an iguana and see it looking right into your eyes too.

Are amphibians disliked because they are thought to be slimy? While they might be moist and slippery, I would not consider them to be slimy. Are snakes disliked because they are an animal without legs? Or rather, are they dislike because they have been turned into evil villains through media and verbal stories? I do think that there needs to be a healthy amount of caution when handling a venomous snake, but not to the point of fear. Every wild animal needs to be treated with a healthy amount of caution, a chimpanzee could get frightened and be dangerous too.

Are reptiles disliked because they have scales and shed their skin? While shedding skin might be something used in horror movies, it is not a scary thing. Yes, the reptile might look different when it is in the shedding process, but they should shed in a short period of time. While we don't shed all at once, we too are constantly replacing our own skin cells.

I have found that turtles and tortoises can still be disliked. Is it because of their shell? Stories that are passed down through generations? There are still reports of people purposely swerving to hit a turtle that is crossing a road. Why? Not only that, turtles and tortoises are all generalized as slow. Another stereotype that is horribly wrong. Gopher Tortoises move fast to get into their burrows and sea turtles have to be fast to escape predators.

I think the main reason that amphibians and reptiles are disliked is because they are misunderstood. Unfortunately, it seems to be human nature to dislike things that we do not understand. Most of the misunderstanding could be solved by educating others about these animals. As I imagine my future, I have a big task ahead of me. I want to do pubic speaking tours about the importance of conservation of animals, especially turtles. Yet, it is hard to convince someone to care about and conserve an animal if they do not like or appreciate the animal to begin with. I think if people knew more about these animals, there would be a greater understanding and appreciation for their uniqueness. I understand that some people will never want to hold a snake, but if those people can at least appreciate the lives of those animals, then conservation efforts can take hold.

Honestly, I think that amphibians and reptiles are amazing creatures. There are frogs that can go dormant for the whole winter to emerge when the weather warms up. Male Hellbender salamanders are the ones to protect the eggs. Frogs and toads can make brilliant calls to attract mates. Giant tortoises can easily live for over 100 years. Snakes are animals that don't have to worry about legs to move (something pretty amazing in itself!). Lizards come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and (like snakes as well), they can smell with their tongue! There are so many amazing fun facts about amphibians and reptiles, I find it hard not to love these animals.



One last note: I met Charlie H. Hoessle yesterday. He is the man that our herpetarium is named for. He started as a pet shop owner, became a zookeeper in the herpetarium, became zoo director, and is now director emeritus. He said something that I full-heartedly believe: Do what you love, love what you do and you'll always be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment