Monday, July 15, 2013

Day 30: Primate House Tour

Thursday, July 11

Today I cleaned the giant tortoise exhibit and was able to answer some questions for an older gentleman who stopped to chat about the tortoises. Afterwards, I helped pick up remaining salad trays and cleaned out cricket tubs before break. I cleaned the baby Alligator Snapping Turtle tanks, filled up water bowls, changed the paper towel substrate in three baby McCord's Box Turtle enclosures, and misted the galliwasps before lunch.

After lunch the others interns and I went on a behind the scenes tour of the primate house. The zoo has weekly tours for us interns to see and learn about other areas of the zoo. I have really been enjoying them! For today's tour we did not actually get to go behind the scenes, but the zoological manager that gave the tour stopped at each animal exhibit and told us about the animals inside. It was a really interesting tour that was also fun because some of the animals recognized the zookeeper and would either get excited or territorial. The zoo has some baby primates that were quite cute as well. One primate even had a stuffed animal monkey that it was playing with and grooming! Once back in the herpetarium, I sifted sand in some skink enclosures and was able to handle the Frilled Lizard again to clean her cage. After break I cleaned the galliwasp water bowls, swept the floor, and started to pick up trash bags. When I got to the rodent/insect room I found that we had completely forgotten the cricket shipment that came in during our tour. So the other intern and I made record time when we processed the shipment in about ten minutes. After that we helped close the building and then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment