Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 25: Adorable Turtles

Friday, June 28

As per the usual salad day routine, I started out cutting produce and preparing salads. As salads were made, I delivered them to the respective animals. I love watching the Fly River Turtles eat banana slices. They see me and start watching, so when I toss in some bananas they get very excited and swim to it; they grab the slice in their mouth and then use their flippers to help break off a bite sized piece. They are typically adorable turtles but when they are excited for bananas and sweet potatoes it is even more adorable. After break, the other intern and I finished preparing the salads and then cleaned up the mess from the morning preparations.

After lunch, I cleaned the black worms, did the dishes, and changed out water for some turtles and lizards. I cleaned the baby Alligator Snapping Turtles and McCord's Box Turtle tanks again because they had already made a mess since yesterday! The McCord's Box Turtle babies are also super adorable. They are smaller than the palm of my hand and just a few months old! But remember, these animals have been driven to virtual extinction in the wild due to the pet trade, so do not go out looking for one as a pet! After break, I cleaned the Spotted Turtle tanks and then misted the Galliwasps. The other intern and I agreed that it was one of those days where it seemed like we didn't do many tasks, but everything took a lot of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment