Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 17: Lizard Enclosures

Saturday, June 8

This morning I set off on collecting the salad bowls from the whole building. I changed water bowls in the lizard room, cleaned the black worms and then it was already time for break. I was then given the project of preparing two outside lizard enclosures. The current state was full of weeds and small trees that had taken root since last summer. I started pulling weeds on one of the exhibits until lunch.

I met a friend for lunch which was fun! Afterwards, all of the house and hellbender interns got a special behind the scenes viewing of the capybaras and an anteater! I love being able to see other areas of the zoo! The two capybaras were quite cute and the anteater was entertaining to watch. Anteaters actually have no teeth, they use their sticky tongue to get ants and other food into their mouths. I also learned that anteaters can actually be quite dangerous. If threatened, they can stand up on their hind legs, put their arms around a human (or other animal) and then quickly pull their arms apart, using their large claws (up to 4 inches long) to tear their threat apart. Anteaters have actually killed zookeepers in some countries. After we got back, I went back outside to continue working on the exhibit. I finished pulling weeds and put new mulch down on one and then moved on to start the second exhibit. After break I was able to finish the second exhibit, do the dishes, and gather trash. Even though it was hard work today, it was fun to be able to see that I personally made two exhibit inhabitable for lizards!

No comments:

Post a Comment